The Telephony software is used to place calls, monitor a call's progress and detect incoming calls on POTS (plain old telephone service) lines. In digital telephony where call control is directed by other means, DTMF dialing and call progress monitoring are required for secondary dialing.
The North American Telephony Platform is used for call control under North American administrations. The International Telephony Platform is used for call control under various International administrations.
When originating a telephone call, call progress tones are generated by the telephone network as the call sequences through the telephone network, The call progress signals include primary and secondary dial tone, busy, congestion, ring back and bong.
Telephone numbers can be dialed with tones (DTMF), pulses or adaptively. Adaptive dialing can be used when the capability of the telephone line is unknown, but tone dialing is preferred. Pulse dialing must be implemented with external hardware, usually a relay in the telephone circuitry.
Ring detection is used to detect valid incoming ring signals. Distinctive ring detection can be used to detect the different ring cadence. Distinctive ringing, an option available from the telephone company provides several different telephone numbers for a single physical line; incoming calls produce a distinct ring cadence for each dialed number.
- Complete call progress monitoring (North American and International)
- Per call time slot assignment and sample stream coding (A-Law, -Law or linear)
- Hook Control and dialing procedures (North American and International)
- International DAA support
- Pulse, tone and adaptive dialing
- DTMF Receiver (less than 150 hits on Bellcore test tape typical)
- General Purpose Tone Detectors/Generators
- Ring detect and distinctive ring detect
- Multi-tasking environment compatible
- Rate adaptation (V.110 and V.120) compatible
- DAA interface with linear/PCM codec at standard sample rates
- Direct interface to 8.0 kHz PCM data stream (A-Law or mu-law)
- Distinct tone for Data/Facsimile/Voice available
- Supported with Speech Coder Systems (G.722, G.729A, G.728 et al.)
- supported with Line echo cancellation (G.165 compliant)
- Multiple instances can be executed on a DSP / RISC